For your travel convenience, here are some tried-and-tested tips to enhance your travel experience and minimize discomfort during your flight:
- Wear loose-fitting comfortable clothes and shoes.
- Avoid wearing knee-length stockings.
- Eat a light snack before your flight.
- Avoid drinking alcohol and caffeine.
- Drink plenty of non-carbonated water or fruit juice.
- Suck on candy or chew gum during takeoff and landing to prevent your ears from popping.
- Get up and walk around the cabin as regularly and as often as possible.
- Keep prescribed medications with you in your carry-on bag.
Flight-related anxiety can be an annoyance and prevent you from enjoying your vacation or distract you from the important meeting you have planned.
To help you de-stress try these relaxing techniques:
- Get a good night's sleep before flying, as tiredness can compound stress.
- Avoid last-minute stress by allowing yourself plenty of time to get to the airport and check in (minimum of two hours).
- Go for a brisk walk on the morning of the flight to dissipate excess energy.
- While waiting to board, combat nervous energy by reading a book or magazine.
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine as they will only disorientate and tire you further.
- Drink plenty of water the night before and during the day of flying to avoid dehydration.
- Recline your seat and close your eyes.
- Breathe steadily, slowly counting to three. Hold your breath momentarily then breathe out slowly as you count to three. Repeat for 10-15 minutes.
- Picture yourself at your destination: relaxing on the beach, sight-seeing or signing the all-important business deal.