Stefan Pichler was appointed President & CEO of Royal Jordanian effective 1st June 2017.
Stefan Pichler previously served as the CEO of airberlin group from February 2015 on. With the help of the strategic shareholder Etihad Airways, he developed a strategic restructuring plan which resulted in dividing the group into 3 separate business units: the first unit provided a long term wetlease deal with Lufthansa for 40 aircraft; the second unit, the touristic business including the Austrian daughter company NIKI, was sold to Etihad – and the third unit the remaining airberlin was redesigned as a network airline with hubs in Duesseldorf and Berlin. All those deals were concluded in December 2016 and enabled a new start for airberlin which had lost over 3 billion Euros in the last 10 years.
Before, Stefan Pichler was leading Fiji Airways as Managing Director and CEO from September 2013 on. He was accountable to drive the rebranding of the airline and the business turnaround as a basis for future profitable growth. In the 2014, Fiji Airways announced record was profits of 60.5m AUD, up from a loss in the previous year. Stefan also served as the Chairman of Tourism Fiji until December 2015.
From June 2009 until August 2013, Stefan was CEO of Jazeera Airways K.S.C., a public listed airline on the Kuwait Stock Exchange. He launched a successful turnaround program in the same year and since July 2010 the company has returned to sustainable profitability with 10 consecutive quarters of record profits until today. The company achieved the highest operating profit margins in the global industry with 25 % in 2011 and 30 % in 2012. Stefan is responsible of the future growth strategy and regional expansion of one of the few profitable regional airline groups. He just was awarded the “Personal Achievement of the Year Award 2012” by Business Aviation for the Jazeera Airways turnaround.
Since 2004, Stefan was part of Richard Branson’s senior management team. He was responsible for Virgin Blue’s transformation from a low cost carrier to a “new world” network airline and served as their Chief Commercial Officer. Virgin Blue became one of the most profitable global airlines in 2006 and 2007 with a double digit profit after tax margin. Stefan also launched Virgin Blue’ s long haul carrier V Australia in 2008 and served as a Chairman of this company until June 2009.
Formerly the Chairman and CEO of Thomas Cook AG, where Stefan built the company from a national German tour operator to the world’s second largest leisure group, he has also held Senior and Executive Board roles with Lufthansa AG. Joining Lufthansa in 1989 as the Marketing & Sales Manager for France, Stefan was appointed Managing Director of Lufthansa France in 1991. Additional roles included his appointments as Managing Director for Germany in 1995 and as the Executive Vice President of worldwide Sales & Marketing in 1996 and as a Member of Lufthansa’s Executive Board in 1997.
Stefan combines both extensive airline experience with major Network, Charter and Low Cost Carriers with extensive knowledge of global markets and costumers, including working with leading global brands such as NIKE, Lufthansa, Thomas Cook and Virgin.
He has also become a respected international tourism leader as he chaired the German Tourism Body BTW as well as being in the Board of the Australian Tourism Body TTF, the Executive Committee of World Trade and Tourism Council (WTTC). He also chaired the Tourism Group at the World Economic Forum and was the Chairman of Fiji Tourism.
He is formerly a non-executive director and Chairman of major corporations including, Steigenberger Hotels AG, Deutsche Bank AG, Berlin Messe GmbH and Fraport AG in Germany, Grupo Iberostar in Spain, Havas in France, Thomas Cook in UK and India and TTF in Australia.
A former internationally ranked marathon runner, Stefan started his career as the Head of Sport Promotions at NIKE International in Beaverton/Oregon. He has a Master Degree in both Economics and Law from Augsburg University.
Said Darwazeh has chaired the Royal Jordanian Board of Directors since June 21, 2016, after he was appointed a representative of the Government Shareholdings’ Management Company in RJ’s Board of Directors on June 19, 2016.
Said Darwazeh is currently the CEO and Chairman of Hikma Pharmaceuticals PLC. Between 2003 and 2006, he was the Minister of Health, Jordan.
He is also the Chairman of the Board of the Queen Rania Foundation, which focuses primarily on providing youth with learning opportunities and equipping them with the necessary tools for success such as ICT in education and online learning opportunities.
He is a board member of the Central Bank of Jordan and a member of the Board of Trustees at Babson College in the USA, and the American University of Beirut (AUB), where he also co-founded the Samih Darwazah Center for Innovation Management and Entrepreneurship.
Darwazeh also founded the "Health Care Accreditation Council " in Amman, a not-for-profit organization that accredits healthcare providers and works across the region to improve standards in healthcare.
Said Darwazeh has a B.Sc. degree in industrial engineering from Purdue University in the USA and an MBA from INSEAD, France.
- Mr. Bassem Al-Salem currently serves as the Chairman of the Board of Capital Bank which he co-founded in 1995.Al-Salem’s role as a chairman provides diverse experience in creating business value strategically, operationally and financially. He also currently serves as the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of King’s Academy in Jordan. Prior to that, he founded and managed a number of companies in Jordan, mainly in the industrial sector. Al-Salem also has an extensive record of public service that spans over 12 years starting as a Member of the Board of the Central Bank of Jordan in the year 2000 and as the Minister of Labor, Minister of Finance, and a Senator in the Upper House of the Jordanian Parliament. Today, Al-Salem continues to serve on the boards of several organizations in the private and public sectors such as Queen Rania Foundation and University of Jordan. He holds a Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering from Imperial College – UK.
- By Royal Decree, H.E. Dr. Ezzedine Kanakrieh was appointed as Secretary-General of the Ministry of Finance for the second time on June 5th, 2014 where he held the same position during the period 2007-2012
Dr. Kanakrieh worked as Director General of the Income and Sales Tax Department in March 2012. Afterwards, he decided to be full-time academic lecturer in Jordanian universities as well as to write economic and financial research papers and newspaper articles. Subsequently, he was appointed as Commissioner of the Jordan Securities Commission during the period 2012-2014.
Dr. Kanakrieh held several positions at the Ministry of Finance during the period 1986-2007, the most significant of these were the posts of Assistant Secretary General and Director of the Cash Management Directorate at the Ministry. Moreover, he represented the Ministry of Finance in several companies and organizations in different capacities in the board of directors and its official committees. Besides, Dr. Kanakrieh participated mainly in drawing economic and financial policies as well as implementing important programs on the national and international levels.
He holds a Ph.D. degree in Finance from Amman Arab University for Higher Studies in 2010. A master's degree in Accounting and Financial Sciences from the Arab Academy for Banking and Financial Sciences/Amman in 1997, and a bachelor's degree in economics from Yarmouk University in 1984.
In 2007, Dr. Kanakrieh was honored with the Independence Medal of the Second Class in recognition of his efforts and his service in the public sector.
- Member of the 25th house of Senate.
Director Food services Royal Jordanian from 1980 till1982.
Chairman for the Dead Sea Hotels from 1990 till Present.
Chairman for the MINA Hotels from 1990 till Present.
Chairman for the Jordan Hotel Association from 1988 till Present.
Chairman for the Federation of Tourism Associations from 2004 till Present.
Vice Chairman and board member for the Jordan Tourism Board from 2004 till Present.
Founder and Member of the Jordanian Applied University board of trustees from 1996 till Present.
- With a background in management, Mr. Bdeir was appointed to Royal Jordanian's Board of Directors in 2008. He is the current General Manager of Best Dimension Investment Co., and a Director of the General Mining Co., and a former board member of Jordan Investment Board. He received a BS in Industrial Engineering from Purdue University (USA), and an MS in Engineering Management from the American University of Beirut.
Nationality: British /Jordanian ( dual nationality )
Born in Amman, Jordan - September 14,1957
Married with 3 children.
EDUCATION AND CAREER PATH
- 2013- CEO SaudiGulf Airlines/ President Al Qahtani Aviation, Abdel Hadi Al Qahtani Group, Dammam, Saudi Arabia.
- 2009-2012 Chief Executive Officer Gulf Air, Manama, Bahrain.
- 2001-2009 President & Chief Executive Officer Royal Jordanian, Amman, Jordan.
- 1989-2001 Various executive positions in Royal Jordanian with Flight Operations, Corporate Planning, Information Technology and Passenger Services
- 1983 M.Sc. Degree in Air Transport Management, Cranfield Institute of Technology/UK. (Lloyds Aviation Economics Prize).
- 1979 B.Sc. Degree in Aeronautical Engineering and Design.
- Diploma in Industrial Studies, Loughborough University of Technology, UK.
- Joined Royal Jordanian in the same year.
- 1975 Graduated from Dean Close School in the United Kingdom.
- Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society/ UK.
- Chartered Engineer - Engineering Council / UK.
- Member of the Engineers Association of Jordan.
- Member of the Board, Central Bank of Jordan.
- Member of the Board, Royal Jordanian Airlines.
- Ex Chairman of the Board of Governors, IATA (June 2008-June 2009).
- Ex Vice Chairman of the Gulf Hotel Group, Kingdom of Bahrain
- Ex Member of the Board of Governors, IATA (2005-2012).
- Ex President, Arab Air Carriers Organization (AACO), 2004.
- Ex President, International Flight Catering Association (IFCA), 2001.
- Ex Member of the Executive Committee, Arab Air Carriers Organization (AACO).